Monday, March 12, 2018

No, the Fact the Younger Generations Aren't Learning Cursive Doesn't Mean the End of Genealogy

Facebook is one of the most valuable resources any genealogist can have in their arsenal. So, naturally, I am a part of many genealogy-related groups on facebook. Normally they are very helpful, giving new insights into how a person should approach research as well as perspectives on the genealogy world as a whole. However, on occasion, these groups will have posts addressing the rest of the members as a whole to share their opinions on the topic of "the younger generations".

As a note, this post is not meant to demonize anybody or to rant without offering any solutions. Rather I'd like to open up discussion about how best to approach concerns as well as give suggestions on how to include the "younger generations" in such discussions. It is also not meant to take a swing at "how can we get kids into genealogy" queries because those are not only important but also include the kids and young adults in the discussion, instead of alienating them by saying some aspect of how they grew up is a problem. Who knows, maybe we can even come to view each other as more than just pre-internet and post-internet and recognize each other for the superb genealogists we all are. First, though I'd like to address some gripes.

Gripes

Cursive Handwriting

This is probably one of the ones that I see the most. Yes, it's true. They don't teach cursive in USA schools anymore. Before anyone dies from the horror of such a proposition, let me provide my perspective.

I actually was taught cursive in school, I had about a year of cursive instruction in 2nd grade, but I'm going to let you in on a little secret: I haven't written in cursive since that year. Despite this, I actually have no problems reading cursive documents. Well, I take that back. When I first started doing genealogy I had some difficulty with the old scripts. Luckily, there is a special skill that all humans have; the ability to learn. Since I already spoke English, the transition came pretty fast. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not difficult to read cursive even if you haven't had instruction. Most of the letters are exactly the same, just with connections drawn between.
Some letters written in Kurrentschrift (source)
If my personal anecdote hasn't convinced you, then maybe a historical example will. Germany used to have a type of script which you have probably heard of: Kurrentschrift. Before I get any further, I'll put into perspective how much harder Kurrentschrift was than English Cursive.

Just for reference, I'll show you a typical more modern handwriting form in Germany.
German handwriting post-kurrent (source)
That is not much harder than the English Handwritten alphabet, as seen below:
English alphabet (source)
However, if you compare the English Cursive alphabet below to the Kurrentschrift one above, there is no debate about which one is more difficult. Kurrentschrift wins by a long run.
English Cursive Alphabet (source)
So what does any of that have to do with anything? Well, Kurrentschrift stopped being taught in German schools in the 1940s. Yet there are a lot of people who have taught themselves how to read it, or who are at least trying to. As a result, Kurrentschrift has not totally died as a script and it is feasible to become adept at reading it for anyone who wants to learn. So why would the schools not teaching cursive result in an inability to read old texts? Especially considering that there are only a few letters that have a noticeable change in form between the printed and cursive alphabets. Beats me, because as a "younger generation" I am doing just fine.

I have also heard the argument that not being to "natively" read cursive will take the joy out of finding old documents. I can assure you this is not the case, and I am just as happy to find a record in German Kurrentschrift or Swedish script as I am in English Cursive.

The Internet in General

Yes, we know that the internet has made genealogy much more accessible and easy to get started with than ever before. Trust when we say we know how lucky we are to be able to access millions of records at our fingertips from the comfort of our homes. And more than anything, we are thankful for the research the generations before ours worked so hard to accumulate, going from courthouse to courthouse and finding certificates, letters, and photographs. However, the new technologies do not make the new ways of conducting research less valid. People will always be opposed to change, that's how all of us are wired to think. We like the safety of old methods and old resources and that's fine just so long as we recognize that progress is not a problem. I think there is a lot to be said for a genealogist who can take their dutifully acquired printed research and extract even more value out of those records using the multitude of technologies available.

Ignoring Paper Trails and Conducting Surface Research

Another argument against our younger members of society is that they are over-reliant on DNA and don't conduct quality, in-depth research. When you think of a younger person, they are often incredibly occupied with other endeavors. From going to school to attempting to break through with their careers, it's rare when one has any time to do genealogy at all. As a 17-year-old in high school, I have had to sacrifice some of my other hobbies to enjoy this one to the full extent I've been able to. I don't regret that at all, but there are some others my age who just aren't able to make any trades.

So yes, I can agree this is descriptive of perhaps a larger portion of young genealogists than full adults, but the question is, is that really a problem? If a young person becomes interested in genealogy, then it's likely going to be a life-long infatuation that grows and expands along with the person. Just like every other genealogy fanatic, they aren't going to be perfect starting off. So perhaps this set of assumptions is more due to average experience of different demographics than actual ages.

As far as learning to conduct research goes, trust me I have written many many papers throughout my middle school and high school career and the importance of evidence and backing up your claims is emphasized to the fullest extent possible.

I also don't believe the younger generation is over-reliant on DNA. It's true that young kids taking DNA tests are probably done out of curiosity for their ethnicities. But there isn't anything wrong with that. To correct the statement I'd say that DNA testing is helping to introduce more young people to genealogy in a palatable way. Most young genealogists are also aware that DNA is a tool you can use to prove paper trails or to pave the way for finding a new paper trail when the path runs cold.

Young People in General

These are my least favorite of the posts I have seen personally. They take the underdefined identity of being young and turn it into a rant about what is fundamentally wrong with the youth of today with a conclusion statement loosely tying said rant to genealogy. I get it, sometimes things make us upset or mad and we want to talk about it (that's what I'm doing here after all). However, there are better ways to go about it than trying to connect with other people who have the same dislikes. There are two main differences between a post that is helpful and one that is not. The post that is helpful includes everyone in the discussion and offers a solution or requests a solution. The post that is not helpful makes statements without considering or asking for solutions. They also tend to make the assumption that everyone reading their post is within their demographic and not the one they are talking about.

That being said these are also the posts in which the original poster is most likely to become an advocate for younger genealogists. It's important to realize that they are often spurred by a single bad experience or an initial reaction to something they learned. The people writing them are often extremely reasonable and have a genuine concern, even if they don't reveal the specific concern in the initial post. Just like the other people posting gripes I see so often, these are best responded to with kindness and understanding. It's a plus of course if you are one of these young genealogists, just because they get a chance to talk to the people their concerns affect, but really anyone can promote mutual understanding and provide alternate perspectives.

What Can Be Done

In this post, I've talked a lot about why I don't believe in expressing concerns for the sole purpose of starting a riot or complaint thread. This is the section of this post in particular where I stop being a hypocrite and follow my own advice (haha). So these are my thoughts about how an armistice can be reached.

When Asking About Something That Concerns You.....

Make sure its a question. Stating a problem with today's youth as though it is a fact will close discussion and alienate those that may be able to help you best, the youth. Saying "Today's youth won't be able to read documents because they aren't taught cursive" is a lot different than asking "How will the more recent decisions of US schools to stop teaching cursive to affect their ability to read old documents? Is there cause for concern and if so what can we do to help?". This second option invites everyone to weigh in their thoughts, reduces defensiveness, and sets a foundation for meaningful, collaborative, discussions.

Put Out Resources and Share What You Know

As a 2000's kid I can tell you that if there is one thing my peers and I know how to do, it's leveraging the internet to learn. So if you think there is some knowledge or skill you can pass on (and I'm sure many of the more seasoned genealogists reading this can think of at least a few) then publish it! Use a blog or any other way you can think of. Just get it out there and my generation, as well as the ones after mine, will thank you for years to come.

Show By Example

Another common gripe which I didn't really get into above (because often the posts asking about this are inclusive and well worded) is that often it seems extremely difficult to get younger generations into genealogy. It's actually easier now though than it ever was before! Commercials like those made by Ancestry.com will introduce the concept that anyone who wants to can do genealogy when the next generation of genealogists are still young. The only thing you have to do is show by example and if you notice a spark of interest kindle that interest. If you notice someone taking an interest in a certain period of history, a certain historical figure, a culture, or a custom, then it can be powerful to tie that interest back to their own personal history.

Be a Mentor

There are only so many hours in a school day and so many things a kid can learn. That's where the seasoned genealogists come in. There are so many of you out there that lived before the internet and who have visited more courthouses than you can count on all your hands and your family's hands combined. There are those of you who have gotten researching down to such a finely tuned science that you can mentally detail every step while half asleep. So take what you know, find an interested young genealogist, and show them what you do.

Let the Younger Genealogists Be A Help to You

Just like you have gained valuable and irreplaceable experiences from the decade you started doing genealogy, many of the newer genealogists have as well. Particularly I am thinking about technology but you never know, we are all people and all have different insights to give.

Conclusions

We are all people, we are all learning (sometimes different things but that's ok), and in the spirit of genealogy I suggest we all just help each other out and help each other figure out how to help each other out (what a mouthful that was!). Let's not forget that everyone, young or old, can and will do genealogy and try our best not to insult the other groups. In fact, lets all act as a single group in our mutual quest to unveil the dead and find the stories that history lost. And for any young or young at heart genealogists check out the NextGen Genealogy group, where you can find and connect with more people who just love Genealogy and keep an eye on what everyone's up to. And if you want to see more of me in the future, check out my episode of Next Gen Live set to air on April 9th at 7 PM - 8 PM CDT (or if you are in EDT like me 8PM - 9PM)


10 comments:

  1. Brilliant post. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee, I'm super impressed with your article. You so very eloquently worded this in a way that is powerful in bridging the gap between generations. I've long felt that if people were more open to learning from each other and sharing what they know that more people would be interested in sticking with family history instead of turned off by the negativity that often comes out everywhere on the topic. I'm not an old time genealogist nor from the younger generation, but somewhere in between. My mom has done genealogy for as long as I can remember, and definitely is old school in how she does things. I just recently got involved as we have tried to incorporate our children in family history. I'm continually on the hunt for ideas that will help keep our family interested and not get lost and bored in the tangle of the long list of names and dates and such. I Love what you're doing here! Thanks for your insights. Looking forward to what you have to contribute in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and it's so great that genealogy has become a multi-generational interest for your family! It really is about bringing people and families together at the heart of things.

      Delete
  3. As an older person who just got going with her genealogy 10 years ago, so I've only been using the Internet, this is an aptly stated post. I'm from the generation that learned cursive (and not all of us learned how to read it so that statement is incorrect by those that say it) and raised kids that weren't after grade school. So I get how things are with that, although I did help them continue to learn.

    I love your suggestions and more importantly, the articulation of this post. I have been frustrated with the "die hard" ways for doing genealogy that hasn't quite given me many "new age" resources. DNA is a key to going further with my genealogy as my father's line is a complete mystery. Does that mean I'm one to ignore the paper trail, heck no. Like you stated so eloquently, it enhances the search...as well as peaks the interest of the younger people. My son is hopefully going to continue my journey once I'm gone. He has no interest but understands the importance to me, so as a just turned 20 year old he is willing to learn.

    Thank you Renee Schmidt, you will inspire much, in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! My grandpa would never have known what his biological last name was had it not been for DNA. I wouldn't know what my Schmidt family was up to before coming to the USA, nor would I have pictures of as many of my x great grandparents. Its a great tool that shows your physical, biological connection to those who came before you and thousands of people across the world.

      Delete
  4. I love this post so much! As a fellow high-school senior genealogist, I share many of the same sentiments. I particularly enjoyed your analysis of cursive handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it and very cool to hear about other's our age doing these sorts of things as well! By the way, I would very much like to check out your blog, but it seems your link may be broken, just a heads up!

      Delete